Sea bass baked in salt crust
The recipe is an ode to the fresh ingredient. A must try. The first time you will try the recipe, when revealing the fish you may think that the fish hasn’t been baked. But it has been baked, relax. And it will be baked amazingly perfect. The fish will maintain all the flavor of the sea while it will be moister than any other fish you have tasted.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
- 1,5kg sea bass (one big or 2-3 smaller)
- 1kg sea salt
- 4egg whites
- finely chopped parsley or thymeoptional
- freshly ground pepperoptional
- extra virgin olive oilto serve
- lemon juice to serve
- Preheat the oven to 220 C.
- Rinse the fishes with water and dry them. Stuff the parsley or the thyme into the cavity of the sea bass. Close and sprinkle with freshly ground pepper. Set aside.
- Whisk the egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form, then fold in the salt gradually.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and spread one-third of the egg white mixture over the tray. Lay the fished on top and spoon over the remaining egg white mixture, ensuring the fish is completely covered.
- Bake the sea bass in the oven for 20 minutes, or 35-40 in case there is one big fish.
- Carefully crack the salt crust, remove it from the fish and discard. Peel the skin from the fish and place it onto a serving plate. Drizzle with some olive oil and lemon juice.