Oven baked lamb with egg pasta
A great “giouvetsi” (oven baked meat dish) a comfort dish that will become a family favorite, but cooked in my own unique way. The preparation may seem confusing and complicated, but it is actually really easy and my method results in a rich meal with far fewer fats and calories than the most typical recipes.
SERVES 5 SERVINGS
COOKS IN 10′ PREPARATION | 15′ COOKING
DIFFICULTY YOU CAN DO IT
- 4 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3.3 lb goat (or lamb) cut into pieces
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 can whole peeled tomatoes (See my recipe for Tomato paste from Santorini)
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 allspice whole
- Salt, freshly ground pepper
- 1.1 lb egg pasta from the Peloponnese (See my recipe for Greek pasta – Xylopites)
- Grated kefalotiri cheese to serve
- Heat the olive oil on a high heat and brown the goat all around, for about 7-8 minutes.
- Mix in the chopped onion and garlic, and stir for about 4 minutes, until transparent.
- Add the tomato paste and rub the bottom of the pot well so the tomato flavor is released.
- Finish with the wine. Wait until the alcohol evaporates and add the whole tomatoes.
- Using the wooden spoon, break the tomatoes into smaller chunks.
- Add the bay leaf and allspice.
- Lower heat, cover the pot and simmer for about 1 hour and 30 minutes until the meat is very tender and the sauce sets.
- Preheat oven to 480°F for about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the meat and sauce to a greased baking dish, and add the egg noodle pasta.
- Pour enough boiling water to cover the food.
- Place the dish in the oven, and turn it off.
- The egg noodle pasta should absorb the sauce in the closed oven.
- Leave for 30 minutes and do not open the oven door.
- Remove from oven – the pasta should be moist and “wobbly”.
- Serve immediately with plenty of grated kefalotiri cheese, because the giouvetsi will dry out if left in the dish.
Greek Chef-Host, Restaurateur, Global Ambassador Of South Aegean Cuisine, Global Ambassador of Greek Cuisine, Tv Chef Host & Best-selling Cookbook Author.